So a lot has happened in the world in the past week or so. Things took quite a turn recently. Schools have been closed, restaurants have been closed, events cancelled and our church is now streaming it’s services online. So at this point whether you agree with it or not, we pretty much have no choice but to stay home to help fight the spread of the coronavirus. (Which we are all for over here!)
With that said, many parents have found themselves at home with their children and with more time on their hands to spend homeschooling and working from home. I am blessed to have a position that allows me to continue working at home during this time. My oldest is only in a half day preschool at the moment so being out of school for her isn’t that much of an adjustment.
But it has definitely hit some people in some tough ways. And it can definitely be an adjustment for a lot of people. So I wanted to share a list of activities you can do to occupy your children during this time. And ideas for activities you can do to get through this time as well!
***this post contains affiliate links. Which just means if you click on a link within this post and make a purchase I could receive a small commission. Please note, all thoughts are my own.***
Activities for Kids
- Get Outside!
- We love to go for walks, play at the park (when there is no one else there), let the kids play or ride their bikes right outside of the house and just try to get them out of the house a little bit each day.
- Arts and Crafts
- I am finding this to be the perfect opportunity to use up all of the arts and crafts supplies we have in the house and get creative. Easter is coming up so this is a great time to make some easter crafts to decorate your home! Here is an example of a project we plan on doing soon.
- Movie Nights
- We love to pop popcorn and watch movies on Disney + (Frozen 2 is the current favorite) or build a fort and watch movies in side of it with a bunch of pillows and blankets! Get creative and make it fun.
- Workout Videos
- Keeping the kids active is super important. Since we are in Colorado if the weather is bad getting outside is tough so this is the option we turn to to stay active. There are so many great options on Youtube.
- Reading, Games and Puzzles
- These three things can entertain them for so long while still being educational!
Resources for Homeschooling
You may also find that you will be homeschooling your children for the time being while schools are closed. Thankfully, like I mentioned, my oldest is just in preschool right now so what we do at home hasn’t changed drastically. But we have been utilizing some tools to keep their brains working during this time. Here are our faves.
- ABCmouse – This is definitely our favorite new resource. We never used it before the quarantine, but they have been having so many deals for parents with children at home. Even going so far as to give it to parents for free through your school. This is a great way to keep your kids learning and they will really enjoy it. I got these tablets for my girls this past Christmas and we are able to use the ABCMouse app on them so the girls can do their “work” at the same time!
- Othergoose– This is another great resource for homeschool ideas. They are currently giving parents 3 weeks free due to COVID-19. So definitely check it out, we have gotten a lot of great ideas of things to do throughout the week from this site.
- I also suggest checking with your child’s school if you haven’t already. Most schools are offering some form of online learning for students during this time and other resources to use as well.
Activities for Parents to do
Ok! So lots of things we can do with our kids! But what about us? What can we as parents be doing during this time? I have to admit that everything going on in the world is scary. I feel for everyone who has been sick, is sick or has people in their lives battling this virus. And for the people who are struggling, lost their jobs or may lose their livelihood because of this.
But, I am trying to stay positive. I figured, the best thing to do is stay home and keep our distance from others and make the most of the situation. So I personally want to make sure I am working on myself during this time. If you are new to working from home check out this blog post for my tips on productivity. Aside from work, here are the things I am doing to stay sane and productive during this time:
- Read my Bible and spend time with God
- With all of the fear, anxiety and stress that comes with what is going on right now, I try to start each day focused on God. Laying it all at His feet and having faith.
- I have so many emotions I am dealing with through all of this so I definitely want to get them down on paper.
- Get 30 minutes of activity in a day
- I love doing home workouts like this one and going for walks with the girls.
- Start a new hobby or side hustle
- I want to make sure I am working on current hobbies as well as things that I’ve been “meaning to start”. Also, focusing on this blog of mine!
- Read More
- I have quite a few books on my “to read” list and I plan on knocking out as many as I can! If you’re a reader let’s connect on Goodreads!
Everything going on right now is so overwhelming but I hope this list is helpful to some. Having the resources in place can make your days go by so much smoother. I hope you all have peace in your hearts and are able to stay home as much as possible during this time. If you need prayer for anything please comment below and let me know!