I love finding creative ways to capture my daughters’ birthdays. One of my favorite ways to do that is through photography. I love taking photos of them each year for their birthday. I also enjoy using a prop to capture their age. That could be an adorable rose gold number balloon or an adorable DIY floral number.
***this post contains affiliate links. Which just means if you click on a link within this post and make a purchase I could receive a small commission. Please note, all thoughts are my own.***
For my oldest daughter’s birthday, I decided to go with the DIY floral number for her photos and thought I would share the process here. It’s a great prop not only for her photoshoot but it can also be used as decor at your child’s birthday party or in their room.
I made a floral 3 for my youngest’s birthday last year and she still has it up in her room almost a year later. Another perk, it doesn’t take long to make at all! Here are the supplies:
- Paper Mache Number
- White Paint
- Hot Glue Gun (This is mine)
- Artificial Flowers (I purchased mine from my local Walmart)
So, like I said, this is super easy to make. I completed this in one night and it was ready to go for pictures the next day. Here are the steps:
- First thing I did was paint the 4 white. It is brown when you purchase it. This step is completely optional. If you cover it enough with the leaves and flowers you probably wont even be able to see the brown. But this is a step I like to take to make sure it looks good from all angles. You can paint it one night and finish the project another night. I did two coats of paint and let it sit for a few hours and completed the rest of the project later that night. So it’s your preference there.
- Step two is to remove the flowers from the stems.
- This step is a little tricky. I personally cut the flower off of the stem and then removed the green core all together. It helps to do a few flowers at a time as this will speed up the process of gluing them. Basically all you should be gluing is the petals of the flowers.
- Then I glue the flowers onto the number. Each flower has layers to it. Once the core is removed they are much easier to glue to your number, but you’ll want to glue them one layer at a time.
- I personally wanted to make sure the pink flowers were evenly distributed so I glued those on first and then I filled the white flowers in.
- I also added the top of the “core” or stigma to the flowers so they still had something in the middle to make them look more realistic. This is totally optional.
- Last, I cut some of the leaves off of the flower stems as well and glued them throughout the flowers to add some dimension to the overall project. I think this added a great finished look.
And that’s it! I let the finished product sit over night so all of the glue had some time to dry. I think it turned out really cute and Alivia loved taking pictures with it. If you want to see how it looked in her photos check out this post. Also, if you make something like this for your little one I would love to hear about it below!